located on the right bank of the
about 55 km to the north west of
Hama. It overlooks the Ghab valley and was built
by Seleucus Nicator,
the first king of the Seleucids in Syria in 300 BC. He named it after his
to an extent that its population numbered half a million. As an Eastern
crossroads, it received many distinguished visitors:
and the Emperor
era, Apamea became a center of philosophy and thought, especially of
Most of the
uncovered ruins in it date back to the
ages. It is distinguished for its high walls and the main thoroughfare
surrounded by columns with twisted fluting. The street is 1850 meters
long and 87 meters wide. The ruins of the
which have been frequently disturbed, are now a great mass of stone.
(The Cardo) is 145 meters long. Erected in the 2nd century, it was destroyed
in the 12th century by two violent earthquakes; some columns are still
To the west of the city, stands the
which once formed a defense line along the Orontes.
attempting to conquer it took place in the 12th century, and
finally surrendered it in 1149.
has huge towers, overlooking the Ghab valley. It also has a
Khan (Inn) built
in the 16th century which was transformed into an archaeological
Apamea's wonderful mosaics, paintings, and 15,000 cuneiform clay tablets.